Sumitra Kumar, senior research fellow at the premier strategic think-tank – Institute of Defence Studies and Analysis (IDSA) — however, is apprehensive about Nawaz Sharif’s manoeuvrability with regard to terror elements given that the Punjab provincial government has over the last few years been allocating considerable funds in its annual budget for the Jamaat ud Dawa. “Even faced with the improbability of making much headway on terrorism and Kashmir in the resumed dialogue, it is still important for India to engage with Pakistan. If India hopes to be taken seriously by the international community it should be seen to be managing its relationships with the neighbours earnestly,” Kumar said. Also, continuing the dialogue might tend to weaken the anti-India elements in Pakistan, he said. Besides, the experience of the last 18 months during which the dialogue was interrupted twice has brought both governments to the view that if any forward movement has to be made in improving relations they can only resort to a dialogue and nothing else,” said Kumar, an expert on Pakistan and military affairs.
<!– /.block –>Nawaz Sharif gets birthday hug from Narendra Modi in Lahore; surprise move stuns even PM’s own party <!– /.block –>
Nawaz Sharif gets birthday hug from Narendra Modi in Lahore; surprise move stuns even PM’s own party <!– /.block –>
<!– /.block –>
<!– /.block –>
Also ReadIndia6.2 magnitude quake rocks northeast Afghanistan; tremor felt in Delhi, parts of North IndiaIndiaNo takers among doctors for paramilitary forcesIndiaDelhi emerging as global transit hub for drugsIndiaTwo major defence deals that couldn’t fructify during Narendra Modi’s visit to RussiaIndiaNow for the real talks: India, Pakistan Foreign Secretaries to meet on January 15IndiaAll you need to know about PM Modi’s sudden Pakistan visit <!– /.block –>
<!– /#sidebar-second –><!– /11440465/DNA_Article_Desktop_970x90_BTF –><!– /.block –><!– /11440465/DNA_Article_Tablet_728x90_BTF –><!– /.block –> <!– /#bottom_bar –>
<!– footer start –>
Partner site: Zee News
©2015 Diligent Media Corporation Ltd.
<!– footer end –>
DHAKA An Italian doctor working as a missionary was shot and wounded in the neck in an attack by three assailants in northern Bangladesh on Wednesday, police and a medic said, the latest assault on foreigners in the country.
The attack on the doctor, identified by Italian newspapers as Piero Parolari, follows the murder of another Italian and a Japanese citizen in attacks in Bangladesh claimed by Islamic State that took place in late September and early October.
The latest incident occurred in Dinajpur district, around 400 km (250 miles) north of the capital Dhaka, where Parolari has been carrying out missionary work and medical services among the poor for the last 10 years.
Police had earlier said he had been stabbed.
Parolari was initially moved to a hospital in Dinajpur town, according to Abdul Khaleque, officer in charge of Dinajpur Sadar police station. He was later taken to a military hospital in Dhaka, and doctors said his condition was stable.
Dharani Kanto, an auto rickshaw driver, told Reuters that he had taken Parolari to hospital in Dinajpur.
“No one was attending to him, so with the help of two other people I rushed him to the hospital,” Kanto said.
The attackers fled on a motorcycle, and fired shots to frighten off people chasing them, a senior police official said.
Muslim-majority Bangladesh has suffered a rising tide of Islamist violence over the past year. Four online critics of religious militancy have been hacked to death, among them a U.S. citizen of Bangladesh origin.
In late September, an Italian aid worker was shot in Dhaka’s diplomatic quarter by gunmen on a motorcycle. A few days later a Japanese man was shot.
Islamic State also claimed responsibility for the bombing of a Shi’ite shrine in Dhaka last month that killed two people and wounded dozens.
The government has rejected the Islamic State claims, instead blaming the rising violence on political opponents.
Humayun Kabir, a Deputy Inspector General of police for the northern region, told Reuters that security in the area had been tightened.
He linked the attack on the Italian missionary to death sentences handed down to the leaders of two opposition parties who have been found guilty of committing war crimes during the 1971 war of independence.
“The motive of the attack was to create a destructive and unstable situation in the country to prevent (the) ongoing trial of war criminals,” Kabir said.
Mahbubur Rahman, secretary general of the Dinajpur district branch of the Jamaat-e-Islami party, has been detained for questioning, police said.
A top Jamaat leader was one of two opposition figures whose appeals against death sentences in the war crimes trial were rejected by the Supreme Court on Wednesday.
A further 10 people were detained in addition to Rahman.
Hamidur Rahman Azad, a senior Jamaat leader, said in a statement that its leadership had been targeted indiscriminately by law enforcement agencies, and that the movement was peaceful.
Asaduzzaman Ripon, spokesman for the largest opposition group, the Bangladesh Nationalist Party, told reporters that the government should only act on “specific” evidence.
“It is nothing but harassment of opposition activists,” Ripon said.
(Reporting By Serajul Quadir and additional reporting by Hasibur Rahman Bilu from Dinajpur; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore, Nick Macfie and Mike Collett-White)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
Amnesty, in a media statement on October 27 before the final court verdict on war criminals Salauddin Quader Chowdhury and Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mujahid, had said that “serious crimes by freedom fighters” during the 1971 Liberation War had gone unpunished.
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has lambasted Amnesty International accusing it of trying to protect war criminals as she alleged that the global rights group had been bribed to defend the accused. Hasina accused Amnesty of taking money for its defence of the war criminals calling the the act “despicable”, news portal bdnews24.com reported.Amnesty, in a media statement on October 27 before the final court verdict on war criminals Salauddin Quader Chowdhury and Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mujahid, had said that “serious crimes by freedom fighters” during the 1971 Liberation War had gone unpunished.<!– Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Hasina said, “We’ve strongly condemned it (statement) and will continue to do so”.”They received something big for it,” Hasina said at a press briefing yesterday, implying that Amnesty was paid off for making the statement.The prime minister also urged for an early conclusion of the war crimes trials.”We have to take steps to try the (suspected) war criminals quickly,” she said.War crimes suspects were put on trial after the formation of the first war crimes tribunal in 2010. A second one was constituted two years later to expedite the trials. But the government merged the two tribunals after many cases were resolved and the number of pending cases decreased. Most of the war criminals are from the fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami, which opposed Bangladesh’s independence from Pakistan.The Supreme Court handed death sentences to wartime Al-Badr chief Jamaat leader Mujahid on June 16 and Chittagong’s BNP leader Chowdhury on July 29. The full verdicts were published on September 30. The convicts have sought a final review of the verdict before execution. The apex court will hear their pleas on November 17 amid allegations of attempts to obstruct the trials.
Senior separatist leader Masarat Alam led Muslim League also threatened to protests against the order by urging people in the valley to sacrifice cows during the coming Eid-ul-Zuha next week.
It is absolutely not possible to convince the Muslim community to go against their own religion, says Jamaat-e-Islami head
Following the decision of Jammu and Kashmir High Court to enforce the ban on sale of beef in the Muslim majority state, different socio-religious and political organisations in the state have threatened a stir against the order.The meat-sellers and shopkeepers have also expressed ‘shock’ over the decision negating the high court decision. A meat-seller in Lal Chowk area, who has been in the business for more than a decade, says that he will not accept the order. “We will continue to sell mutton as well as beef at our shop even if there is a court order,” the shopkeeper said.<!– Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>The High Court bench comprising of Justice Dhiraj Singh Thakur and Justice Janak Raj Kotwal directed Director General of Police to ensure that there is no sale on beef in anywhere in the state and strict action is taken in accordance with law against those who indulge in it.Anjuman Shari Shian, a socio-religious organisation, vehemently opposing the ban has threatened to launch a protest against the order terming it a breach in the law of religion. “We oppose the decision tooth and nail. No law is beyond our religious laws,” group’s head Aga Hassan told iamin.The decision came during a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) hearing. The PIL contended that the slaughtering and sale of bovine animals is rampant in some parts of the state which severely affected religious sentiments of a section of the society.The PIL further stated that the practice continues despite the the fact that penal provisions of Ranbir Penal Code(the penal code that is applicable in the state of Jammu and Kashmir) make killing of bovine animals an offence punishable under Section 298-A.Earlier, in 2014, valley based Kashmir Pandit Sangharsh Samiti had filed an RTI in the Srinagar Municipal Corporation (SMC) seeking information regarding the licences given to beef sellers in the city. It was informed that SMC had not given any licence to any seller. “The ban was already there. We demanded that the beef shouldn’t be sold in full public view that hurt the sentiments of a particular community,” KPSSs Sanjay Tickoo said.Stating that the Pandit organisation is not against any religious community, they only want the ban to be implemented as per the state Constitution which already has a provision.”If the ban is not implemented, it can be termed as a breach in the state’s special status which is safeguarded under Article 370,” Tickoo points-out adding that it can set a precedent for other orders which can lead to abrogation in Article 370, which grants special status to the state of Jammu and Kashmir.Valley’s largest socio-political organisation Jamaat-e-Islami, however, termed the decision as totally ‘unacceptable’. “It is absolutely not possible to convince the Muslim community to go against their own religion, so we oppose it,” Jama’at head GM Bhat said.Bhat added that safeguarding Article 370 in this case becomes ‘totally irrelevant’. “If the state assembly passes the bill against beef sale and then even if Indian Parliament ratifies it, the order will still have no acceptability in the Muslim majority state,” he shared.Senior separatist leader Masarat Alam led Muslim League also threatened to protests against the order by urging people in the valley to sacrifice cows during the coming Eid-ul-Zuha next week. “We will also sacrifice a cow in the city centre to register our protest against the sale of beef,” Bhat added.
Sixteen policemen were injured on Saturday when a protest by members of a particular community at Kandhla in neighbouring Shamli district turned violent following which a case has been registered naming, among others, a former nagar panchayat chairman.
dna Research & Archives
Sixteen policemen were injured on Saturday when a protest by members of a particular community at Kandhla in neighbouring Shamli district turned violent following which a case has been registered naming, among others, a former nagar panchayat chairman.According to police, members of the Tablighi Jamaat community were protesting against the incident in which five members of their community were thrashed on Friday by some youths on board a Delhi-Kandhla train.Meanwhile, RPF said they have filed a case in this connection.The Kandhla protest today saw an irate crowd gherao the police station and pelt stones besides setting some vehicles on fire, said SP Vijay Bhushan. To disperse the violent protesters, police had to fire teargas shells and also resorted to a baton charge, he added.<!– Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>In the wake of the incident, a case has been registered against 1,000 people. Among five people named in it is former nagar panchayat chairman Haji Islam, said Bhushan. Police’s baton charge left one person injured.Bhushan added that security has been tightened and extra police force deployed in the town following the incident.